European Health Insurance Card (EHIC)

Everyone knows how vital it is to have travel insurance if you are going on holiday but are you aware that if you are a European citizen travelling within the European Economic Area (EEA) you can also get reduced cost, or even FREE healthcare while you are away, just by carrying a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC)?

If you are taken ill while you are away on holiday it can be stressful and very expensive but the EHIC can drastically reduce costs of healthcare while you are abroad.

The EHIC replaced the old E111 forms in 2006 and they cover you for treatment that is needed for you to continue your holiday until your planned return. This may be a pre-existing medical condition or routine maternity care, as long as you haven’t planned to go abroad to give birth.

The EHIC is valid in all EEA countries including Switzerland but it won’t cover for private medical care, mountain rescues in ski resorts, being flown back to the UK if you have a serious illness or injury, or your belongings being lost and stolen; so don’t think this is a replacement for travel insurance!

Each member of your party or family will need an EHIC card including children. When you apply you can just add children as a dependent to your application and they will receive a free card as well.

Apply for your free EHIC now.

If you are heading off to sunnier climes then why not take a look at our Holiday Villas and Apartments to Rent in superb holiday destinations.

Share Button