Keeping Fit on your Villa holiday: We know you are being bombarded right now about how to get fit for the new year and that all important swimwear for the summer just because you let yourself go a little and enjoyed some fine dining and drink over the festive period.
You are undoubtedly committed to making the change and getting in the gym or following the latest fitness DVD. This is of course to be commended but what happens when you head out on that Villa holiday to show off the efforts of your recent exertions.
Holidays are of course there to be fully enjoyed and an opportunity to relax but you don’t want to completely undo all your hard work, you also don’t want to have to find the nearest gym to your villa or stay inside doing a workout DVD when there is sunshine to be had.
At Panoramic Villas we understand this and as such have worked with a fully qualified Personal Trainer to give you the exercises that will keep you feeling fit and healthy whilst on your Villa holiday.
Go through the below exercises to get your body temperature up and your muscles ready for the workout to come. Spend 30 seconds on each of the below warm up exercises:
- Jogging on the spot
- High Knees (Bring the knees up level with your hips)
- Butt Kicks (Flick your feet up behind you so that your heels touch your bum)
- Mountain Climbers (Go down into a plank position, which is a press up a position but with arms straight and not bent, the hands must be in line with your shoulders. Then alternate bringing each leg up to your chest in a running motion)
5 Core strengthening and Cardio-vascular exercises
Do these exercises for a minute each and repeat the circuit 3 times. Take a 30 second rest between each circuit.
- Should Press: Here you need to be in a position called a downward dog. Adopt a basic plank position then bring your feet in so that your body adopts the look of an inverted V with your bottom up in the air. Keep your arms straight and tense your stomach muscles. Turn your hands in so that your fingertips are facing each other. You can then start the exercise by bending your elbows so that your forearm and upper arms come to a 90 degree angle and then straighten them again. Repeat this action.
- Basket Ball Jumps: Stand straight then bend down at the knees keeping your back straight as if you are picking a basketball up off the floor then explode upwards and push your arms up in to the air as if shooting for a basketball hoop and repeat.
- Frog Jumps: Stand straight then crouch down into a frog position with your back straight knees bent and your fingertips touching the floor. Push up from the floor using your legs and jump backwards and drop back into the crouching Frog position. This time push up again but leap forward. Repeat this backward and forward motion.
- Plank Jacks: Again adopt the extended arm press up position. As you drop into a press up take both feet out to the side and as you push up bring both feet back together again. Breathe in as you go down and exhale as you push back up.
- Toe tappers: Stand straight and tall with your core tensed and your arms out to the side. Kick your left leg forward as high as you can, keeping it straight, and bring both arms forward to touch the top of your foot. Drop the foot back and bring the arms back to the side. Then repeat but using your right leg. Keep up this alternation.
It is important you cool down after your exertions.
- Sit on the floor with your legs straight and out at 45 degree angles. Lean forward with your arms extended in front of you and creep your fingers forward along the ground as far as you can stretch. Hold for 15 seconds.
- From your central outstretched position (as above) take your hands over to your right ankle. Hold for 15 seconds then creep them across to your left ankle, hold for 15 seconds.
- Stand up for a quadricep stretch. Take hold of your right foot and ring it up behind you holding your heel into your bottom after 15 seconds repeat this with the left leg. Make sure your standing leg stays straight and keep your knees together.
- Stand straight and tall and bring your right arm across your chest keeping it straight and hold it in place with your left arm. Turn your head over your right shoulder. Hold for 15 seconds and repeat with the left arm this time looking over your left shoulder.
- Take both arms behind you and push them down into the small of your back stretching out the shoulders for 15 seconds.
You are now done for the day and are free to do whatever you like knowing that you have earned it. Make sure you take on plenty of liquids especially if you have done your workout in the sun.
Choosing a Healthier Alternative
Holidays are there of course to let you break free from the shackles of everyday life and we fully support this but just being mindful of what you eat can also help to make sure the calories do not pile up:
Pizza – Veggie vs Meat Feast
Go for a Vegetarian as opposed to a Meat Feast. Two main reasons, one the calories are lower and two you do actually get some benefit from the vegetables. Based on a Large 14” Pizza where half is eaten:
Veggie (Onions, green peppers, olives, sweetcorn, mushrooms and extra cheese): Calories: 202
Meat Feast (Pepperoni, Italian sausage, beef, ham, bacon extra cheese): Calories: 283
Having a Pint – Stella Artois vs Becks Bier
When selecting your pool side drink go for a Becks Bier over a Stella Artois, below are based on a Pint at 568ml each:
Stella Artois: Calories: 256
Becks Bier: Calories: 204
Biscuits – Digestive vs Choc Chip
Holidays are time to relax and what can be better than a cup of tea with a biscuit or five.
Digestive Biscuit: Calories 71
Choc Chip Biscuit: Calories 56
If you were to have a vegetarian Pizza with a becks Bier and Five choc chip biscuits rather than the more calorific versions you will consume 686 calories instead of 894 saving you 208 calories. That is another Becks Bier for FREE.
For more Panoramic Personal trainer holiday exercises and tips visit:
Book your Holiday Villa today and enjoy some exercise in the Sun www.panoramicvillas.com.